Thursday 14 June 2012

Alyss Stewart- YCI Camp.

YCI Camp.

When faced with the task of writing and producing a full on photojournalism project I was a little baffled by how boring I perceived my life to be. I thought so hard about what I wanted to portray and very nearly couldn't come up with anything. I was then given the opportunity to attend a YCI camp [Youth Combating Intolerance/ Youth for Change and Inclusion] where I finally found something I wanted to bottle and mass produce: unconditional acceptance and love within a mass community. I wanted to take pictures that showed the excitement, community, energy, happiness and all around joy of the camp and the people who attended. These are the results I came up with.


SHY SHEYNA
Sheyna has just arrived at camp early in the morning on the first day of camp and is rather camera shy.





PRE-CAMP EXCITEMENT
Sara and Nathan grin at the camera on the first day of camp in the main field as we are split into our family teams.





SPIDERS WEB
B team is faced with the 'spider web' challenge on the first day of camp in the back field as they create team building.




BLIND WALK
b team participates in the team building 'blind walk' on the first day of camp.



LOG CHALLENGE






GETTING TO KNOW YOU

FUNNY FACED
Tory and Courtney smile at the camera free time on the first day of camp in front of the main hall.





A BEAUTIFUL PLACE
This is the lake from the view of the window in my room at 5:12 in the morning when I awoke and saw the sunrise.





BRITTANY
Brittany Forseth smiles for the camera early in the morning as we wait for breakfast in from of the main hall.



BUDDY UP/ BUDDY DOWN
the whole camp joins in the main field to participate in a large game of 'buddy up/buddy down' after lunch for the prize of bragging right and a YCI travel mug after lunch time.








HAND GAMES
Several YCI campers take part in teaching each other hand games after dinner as part of the bonding experience of the short four day camp.







DANCE PARTY
YCI campers join in the conference room after breakfast on the last morning and participate in a spontaneous dance part while waiting for the next speaker to begin.
















3 comments:

  1. The shots are inviting and really portray the feel of the camp Alyss. The timeline is great and I like how you used groups of shots to show action like in the Spider Web series. The lighting with the sunset/tree shots, Courtney/Tory, and on the student from Vic High are all really cool. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one of "Getting Know You" and the second shoot of "A Beautiful Place" are so great!!! The third group of pictures really make me laugh:D I think I should have joined in that camp:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like how you got the team work and emotion and sillyness of the people in your photos i loved it

    ReplyDelete